In 1931 Dr. Roy E. Mitchell and Dr. E.C. Murphy sought to preserve the legacy of the Chippewa Valley's logging industry. An industry that built the city of Eau Claire, and in the 19th century supplied more lumber than anywhere else in the country. In 1933, using lumber donated from Dr. Mitchell's land and with the help of men who had worked in the lumber camps, the Kiwanis Club built a replica of a cook's shanty and bunkhouse in Carson Park. In 1934, the camp was opened and in 1936 the camp was given to the city of Eau Claire.